Saturday 4 October 2008

Sell-outs

I was more than a little perturbed to receive an email today inviting me to a Credit Suisse recruitment event for IT students. The email was sent by a member of staff at Aston, and the recruitment event was scheduled for a Thursday in term time - when IT students will all have lectures. It seemed I was being actively encouraged to ditch lectures in order to visit Credit Suisse.

Bizarre no? I was sure Aston was meant to care more about our education than Credit Suisse's graduate scheme.

I did a bit more digging around and discovered this document. It's basically an offer from Aston Careers' Service to prostitute themselves for any company willing to pay for the pleasure. Now you see why I do all my job hunting away from the University - at least I can assure I'm getting impartial advice.

What I find even stranger though, is that it cost a mere £50 for Credit Suisse to have that invite sent to every technology student. These students though, numbering in their hundreds, all paid thousands of pounds for the education they're receiving this year. You'd think the Uni would ask for more than £50 before they suggested throwing that out of the window...

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets