Friday 31 October 2008

Toothpaste Chicken

In my bathroom at the moment, we have four empty toothpaste tubes. No, sorry, let me rephrase:

In my bathroom at the moment, we have four very very nearly empty toothpaste tubes.

They have been this way for weeks now, proving that Bill Bryson's insight...

"there's always a little more toothpaste left in the tube...think about it"

...actually had nothing at all to do with optimism or strength of character, but was indeed in fact the musings of a man who really likes to investigate such things. If you haven't yet read any of his books, shame on you - and I highly recommend them.



I could, I realise, simply pop along to one of the many retail establishments I pass daily and simply pick up another, full, tube. It's not like we're always arguing over whose turn it is to buy the toilet paper, or who took the rubbish out last. I could also save myself five minutes of intense squeezing and bruised fingertips and simply cut one of the tubes in half, helping myself to the goo within (but - and this is critical - dispelling the hidden delights of what lies inside).

However, I don't want to lose. If no-one else has had to resort to that yet, then I shouldn't have to either. After all, I live with a girl and a guy with pink hair - think of the shame if I gave in.

In other toothpaste related news (albeit from 1937):

Toothpaste in glass tubes in 1937
Why the frown?

You might also be interested in this method of creating a fibre-optic flashgun for a professional camera using an empty toothpaste tube - the Fring.

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

You're a guy with long hair and girly clothes =P

Ina said...

But it's not pink or blonde :P

Recent Tweets