Friday 12 December 2008

Campaign/BrandRepublic

Most people think that marketing students are good for nothing - but this isn't quite true. You see, a couple of them keep linking me to fun pages on BrandRepublic (or its magazine, Campaign). These are generally focused on advertising and marketing - and with those being such wide-reaching and trendy industries, there's always something good to see.

There's loads of fun content to choose from, from farces such as Pizza Hut rebranding to Pasta Hut to disturbing news about direct marketing and the usual collection of 'top ten...' (I'm quite a fan of the top ten failed adverts of 2008).

It's in my bookmarks now so - marketing people, I don't need any more links - it's back to trying to discover the alchemy of viral marketing for you.

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

I can't quite establish their criteria for bad adverts. If you take the standard view of 'Ads should get you talking about a product' then No. 2 certainly doesn't deserve the placing. Most people don't know about Piaf's struggles, but they'll get the joke. Similarly the Country Life ad gets the message across, is vaguely amusing and getting a quintessential anarchist saying 'It's not about Great Britain' works rather well.

They're right about the crap dubbing from Renault though. Remember when you said you'd never make a Renault ad?

Ina said...

I said I'd never make a Renault ad? I'm utterly perplexed as to how that statement could ever come into a natural conversation.

The comments thread on that post has a few interesting ideas on what makes a 'bad' ad - and I agree it's hard to pick out their criteria. #2 however, annoys me, and I honestly am petty enough to avoid a product simply because its marketing annoys me. I've never agreed with 'any PR is good PR' (or whatever the phrase is).

Recent Tweets