Sunday 7 December 2008

Interview Time

I've just had my first interview - in phone format, with a lovely lady from Qinetiq. Tomorrow I'm off to Cambridge to meet some other folks from Red Gate Software - so they can find out if I can still remember how to write any code.

I find myself being drawn to these two (and a couple of other) companies, simply because of the professionalism they're showing in their recruitment process. Others, notably IBM and Tesco.com so far, have done a pretty awful job. Confusing websites, ridiculous questions on the application process and if you do ever manage to put a human face on the communications, it's not someone you're very keen about dealing with again.

But, should I base my final decision on things like these? Will a job at <x> be awful just because the recruitment agency they hired wants to ask me inane questions? On that point - please, someone, tell me why the full name of my High School or the grade I got at GCSE Welsh are useful in the recruitment stage?

On the one hand, it's symptomatic of a lack of professionalism within the business. If a company is happy to put sub-par quality processes live, then they're probably happy to do the same with their shipping products and customer interactions. On the other hand, I know perfectly well they have some great products and switched-on staff...should I base my decision on the fact that they're let down by poor HR?

It's not a big/small divide either. I've seen small companies that simply don't bother to respond to their emails and big companies where you get a personalised touch - and replies straight away even at 8pm.

Right, off to find some more places to apply to. I'm not applying anywhere new that can't code a basic website though.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets