Tuesday 9 January 2007

No job for me at Rare! :(

Well, went for my assessment day for Rare today, handily located just in Birmingham town centre. I'd expected this to be a massive event with a couple of hundred students, but when I arrived there were only around 15 of us there, and 5 of those were for the graduate scheme - not the internship. Additionally, only Dean and I were there from Birmingham, people had travelled from all over the country to the centre.

I later found out what all this was about - it seems out of the many applicants (1500 last year I heard, and I imagine a similar number this year) we'd been narrowed down to the last 40 or so, which was pretty sweet. What wasn't so great was that we than had to sit a three part test for our assessment.

The first part, multiple-choice was fairly easy, just graphics and general tech questions, with one or two about games thrown in there. The second part was the toughie - 10/15 of us failed it (including most of the graduate applicants, ouch) - it was some fairly difficult maths, lots of vector stuff and some hex things I'd never even seen before. Ended that one on 5/18 (needed 9/18 to pass). Third and final part was pure coding based, so did well on that, but unfortunately they didn't take an overall mark, they did it section by section.

So, that narrows it down to either Microsoft or Fujitsu for me, and I expect to get offered at least one, if not both of theirs. A word of advice - if you're looking for a placement at Rare - get studying your maths! Apparently after this stage there's an even harder test with some really hardcore maths on it.

Back to revision and coursework then!

Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

I am mocking you from my Wii lololololol

Recent Tweets