Thursday 8 January 2009

WinDirStat

Don't you hate it when your hard drives are starting to look full, but you don't really know what's taking up the space and what you should delete? On Unix simply running 'boabab' will lend a hand, but it's not so easy on Windows.

A decent approximation however, is WinDirStat. It'll scan any folder or hard drive - or all the drives on your computer. It'll then give you various graphical and list views of exactly where your space is being taken up, as with the below analysis of my C: drive (where I store Windows, and a few other bits and bobs):


You'll note that most of my space is being taken up by .dll and .sys files - the sys files I need for Windows, but I could feasibly remove some of the .dll clutter by uninstalling some programs. The pictures at the bottom help too - I'm just about to delete that large turquoise square towards the top-right, it's an old video I don't need any more.

The big red blob though, the one taking up 3GB of space? Unfortunately that's something called 'hiberfil.sys' - Windows needs it to hibernate and I can't do anything about that. 'pagefile.sys' would be equally nasty if I hadn't moved that elsewhere. Still though, it's a useful tool, and makes pretty pictures too.

Enjoy.

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Gib said...

technically you can remove it if you don't use hibernate :p

Recent Tweets