Saturday 1 August 2009

New (Old) Phone

Finally, I've upgraded from my, frankly awful, Sony Ericsson w890i, which has been a thorn in my eye since I got it just over a year ago. This phone took up a to a minute to boot, the battery died quickly and, second-worst-of-all - it crashed.

A lot.

I mean, I read reviews online that said the w890i would crash, and laughed at all the idiots who couldn't use a phone properly. It wasn't until later that I discovered the little red light on the back of the phone, next to the camera, serves only one purpose. It's there to tell you your phone has crashed.

At the point when the designer is adding a 'your phone crashed' light, you've got to wonder how robust the rest of the design really is..

Worst of all, however, is the phone's complete lack of resilience to being covered in seawater and sand. A light drenching (more on that later) and the thing simply shorted out and corroded - an obvious design flaw if ever there was one.

As such, I've upgraded back to my beautiful old Nokia 6230:

Nokia 6230


Now, this phone has a screen so poor you can barely view any form of image on it. The speaker itself constantly makes that little interference noise you get when you put a ringing phone next to your speakers. It can only store 100 text messages before having a fit and making you either delete them all, or painfully remove messages one-by-one.

But. It can take a beating. I've proven this in the past by
  1. Simply throwing it at a wall (the back sometimes falls off),
  2. Setting it on fire (there's now a small raised area on the back cover) and
  3. Putting it through the washing machine (that last one, I admit, was accidental).

I'm debating getting something a bit more modern but first, I need to know, is there anything out there which can pass the three stage test above?

Leave a comment, or read the 3 comments so far.

James A said...

I've had two Sony Ericsson phones. The first one was actually pretty good but developeda software issue after about 10 months. I lost some functionality but I was planning on upgrading in a few months anyway so left it at that. My other phone - the W880i was pathetic. Battery life was OK but not astounding, but the camera was awful, the quality... Read More of the build was rubbish and the software was diabolical. Became painfully slow if there were more than about 5 text massages stored on the phone and every so often just randomly restarted. Without rhyme nor reason it would just turn itself off. So I couldn't wait to change phone in June. And I am never going back to Sony Ericsson. No way Jose.

Thena said...

Nokias are definitely the classic resilient bricks. I seriously doubt you'll find anything that will take such a beating so willingly. It's got to be the most masochistic make on the market at the moment.

Maksim SolomĨuk said...

Agree with the Nokia resilience, I've had experiences with 32xx and 33xx series quite similar to what you've described in those 3 points. Those phones could have been used as blunt weapons. The only thing tougher than Nokias was a Siemens A35 my sister had - it took dropping it into a river from a bridge to actually kill it.

PS <3 6230

Recent Tweets