Sunday 2 August 2009

Original Documents

I'm moving to London. Exciting.

Less exciting, however, is the process of doing this. Specifically, dealing with letting agents and a new landlord. I don't mind the letting agents stealing my wallet every time I enter their premises. I don't mind that the landlord is trying to slip a clause into the contract saying everything I move into the house becomes his property. I don't mind that all amounts in the contract are actually written in an obscure currency which has a symbol nearly identical to £, but means I pay triple what I expected - this is all fairly standard fare.

What I do mind, is the constant requests for 'original documents' and 'paper proof'.

I don't have any bank statements. I don't have any bills with my address on them. I don't have any 'formal letters' (whatever they are). I use the Internet* for everything. On the off-chance someone does send me something in such an archaic format as paper, I generally throw it in the bin unread.

Whilst we're on the subject, I don't have a fax machine. I don't want to print off the attachment you've emailed me, sign it and then fax it back to you. A fax machine isn't more secure than a scanned email. A digital signature is legally binding. The 80's are dead.

Frankly, the past couple of weeks would have been a hell of a lot easier if I just forged a document every time someone asked for one. I wonder when someone's going to notice I've just Photoshopped the signature from my driving license into every document they asked me to print, sign and scan. I wonder if they do notice, if they'll question quite how ridiculously insecure an unwitnessed signature is.

Finally, I get annoyed that 'insecure' next to 'unwitnessed' looks horrible. But I still don't think we should standardise anything. Except power supply connectors.

--
*And I'm still cool enough to capitalise the 'I'

Leave a comment, or read the 3 comments so far.

Lucie said...

Just when the blogging world thought you might have died.. =P

Scott said...

I like when they send me documents to sign, you can change the small print, like how much notice you have to give. They never read them after you've signed.

Claire H said...

I feel your pain. We were given the total run around in France because we couldn't produce a gas bill. I wonder if the utility companies realise that they have so much power, they could be charging for providing the "paper proof" that these people insist on.
We considered forgery too when, as if by magiic, we found a stray gas bill at the bottom of our case. Neither of us had any clue why it had been packed but it made life a whole lot easier from then on.

Recent Tweets