Sunday 24 February 2008

Gmail Adverts

The beautiful service known as Gmail (Google Mail) is probably the only place on the internet where I'll actually actively seek out the adverts and go ahead and click on them.

When Gmail was launched, there was a lot of online hype and buzz about how Google would invade everyone's piracy by 'reading' their emails and then selling adverts based on the contents. In reality, this has turned out (in my opinion at least) to be a brilliant device - as you now get ads which are relevant to exactly what you've been talking about with your friends.

It's a far more effective way of delivering relevant and interesting ads than more common paradigms - which look at the static content of a webpage and try to decipher what generic adverts everyone who looks at that page may want, as the page might have a range of subjects on it, and the viewer may only be interested in a certain one. But you're pretty certain to be interested in nearly everything in your inbox (unless it's full of spam...but Gmail blocks pretty much all spam! Hooray!).

Occasionally though, a rather odd advert slips through the net. I'm fairly sure this isn't in any way related to anything I've been discussing, but Gmail recently offered up an advert for She Pee to me. With a tagline like 'No More Squatting' I was helpless but to click and I confess to be completely bemused by the whole concept even after having read through the entire site.

She Pee
She Pee - For those thinking of getting that operation...

Through festivals, I've heard of the concept, and the name and picture above should give you the rest of the details...but bizarre though all this is, it doesn't warrant a post on its own. What really warrants a post is the captivating and incredulous story on the About She Pee page. Here's the start:

"During a journey through Indonesia, Dutch born Moon Zijp..."

Let's face it, anything that starts like that deserves further reading. Go on, click, I know you don't normally, but do it this once.

I'm still, by the way, completely unsure as to how She Pee actually operates...but don't bother informing me, I'm happier this way.

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Ju said...

I am utterly bemused!

Recent Tweets