Tuesday 19 February 2008

Something to remember

During the long, long few seconds as I fell to the floor after kicking myself in the back of the leg tonight at salsa (well, better than kicking my partner I suppose...) - I had a very profound thought that I want to share with you. It was:

"Ouch. Fuck. I probably look quite stupid. Ouch"

The first ouch being the kick, the second ouch as I hit the floor. If, however, I hadn't been so concerned with the fairly mild physical pain and the much more fierce humiliation, I might have had another thought:

"Iambic Pentameter, Jet-Lag and Salsa don't mix well"

I think that this is something which every small child should be taught in school. I bet it's something you've never even considered before - but think of the potential social embarrassment and horrific bruises I've just saved you. You should probably give me money just for letting you read this.

To elaborate a bit - I've been reading Stephen Fry's 'The Ode Less Well Travelled'. As such, I've got poetic meter stuck in my head - the most famous of which is Shakespeare's dear Iambic Pentameter, which goes:

'and One and Two and Three and Four and Five'

As those of you who've danced Salsa before may realise, this doesn't tie in with that particular dance's beat:

'cha cha cha ... cha cha cha ...'

Furthermore, those of you who've enjoyed the wonders of aviation recently may be aware of jet-lag's particular little rhythm:

'la la la la l........'

If any mathematicians amongst you think you can combine those three into anything better than 'ouch', let me know.

Xx

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets