Saturday 29 March 2008

Cadbury's World is one giant drug trip

Up in Birmingham a day or two ago, and I got dragged away for a surprise day-trip adventure. All the hints and clues pointed towards some kind of strip club or brothel - so I was quite bemused when I stepped out of the car and found myself surrounded by small people running around and screaming a lot.

On an average day, Cadbury's World is normally a haven for the bored students in Birmingham, where they can wander around aimlessly, obtain a nutritious meal and generally manage to pass a day without any risk of learning anything. In the middle of the Easter holidays though, it's a little busier..

It was still an awesome day though, with liquid Dairy Milk and chocolate...lots of chocolate. I only just managed to avoid buying a box of 60 Curly Wurlys (a decision I'm regretting). But that isn't the point of this post.

As I was sitting in a small, chocolate car, being transported around a village of small cocoa beans, with music strikingly reminiscent of It's A Small World being piped in, it occurred that this would be a dream come true for someone on an acid trip. Even better than that scene at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Then there's a giant monkey. On a TV, in one of the houses.

It goes on like this, with lovely, childish and vaguely disturbing animations, models and singing being followed abruptly by something scary and disturbing. Then for no apparent reason, a parrot flies overhead and you're in outer space. I never did find out quite what the ride was supposed to show me, or understand its logical progression. I did find out, however, that Cadbury's originally owned a tea shop - what an awesome family. I also liked some of J. Cadbury's remarkably un-PC quotes, including:

"So we hired a little Chinese man, and dressed him up in a full outfit"

Right, time to stop rambling...I'm watching Charlie and The Chocolate Factory with a 3 year old who looks absolutely petrified by everything going on.

Xx

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets