Saturday 29 March 2008

Lille - Day 2

We decided to be nice and touristy on our second day in France and wandered around Lille taking photos of anything that was large and had been carved in some way. Here, for example, is a picture of a man on a statue of a horse on top of a large block of stone. Thrilling eh?

Foch Lille
This chap is called 'Foch'. Hehe, 'Foch'.

I much preferred the little things in doorways and side-streets though, of which there were many - sometimes very cool. Take this little angel doorknocker on a building of no importance whatsoever:

Lille doorway

Likewise, here's a kitty in someone's window:

Kitty Lille
Hehe, kitty

After quite some wandering, I dragged Julie - a confirmed heathen (Methodist) into a proper, Catholic Palm Sunday mass. In French no less too. I love French Churches and services - and there was naturally a great organ in the Cathedral too.

We then headed to the Museum of Beautiful Art to look at some...well you get the idea. That was all lovely, but it was the impromptu renaissance music group playing amongst the paintings that I really loved. That and the fact that there were two harpsichords just lying around the place...and being played. So, so beautiful:

Lille Harpsichord
The first, beautifully simply harpsichord

Harpsichord
The second, fancier, modern harpsichord

Inside harpsichord
Inside the second one...

After some more wanderings and the like it was off out for our meal in a brothel.

I must stop typing the word 'brothel' on my blog.

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Ju said...

Can I clarify please?! There was no need to drag me into the mass - the beautiful organ did that for me! Absolutely stunning!

Recent Tweets