Wednesday 5 March 2008

Friend Wheel

Whilst clicking around Facebook earlier today, I noticed an application that looked so cool I actually took the unthinkable step of adding it to my profile. Disgraceful I know - but this one's actually got some class, and pretty colours too.

The Friend Wheel is a simple little idea - it simply scans all of your friend, and maps them out according to which other friends of yours they know. It then draws in the links between your friends.

Ian MacGillivray Friend Wheel
Click to embiggen

The results are quite surprising (as well as making a nice picture) - I can see how easily my friends divide into groups (Home, Work, IC, etc), but I can also see that groups I never thought would intersect have a few stray lines going between one another.

The next, and even cooler step - would be for my Friend Wheel to be joined up with the Friend Wheels of every friend within my wheel. Unfortunately, that would require them all to sign away their privacy, and some extra code to be written...so that's unlikely to happen. Still though, we can dream.

In other news, the front door of my oven fell off yesterday and smashed all over the floor. What the hell? Things like that don't happen. Ovens are meant to be reliable. I'm very upset.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets