Thursday 17 July 2008

Yet another reason not to use Hotmail

I use Gmail to put all of my email into one, nice, web-accessible place. It's great - people send email to one of about 12 different addresses I hand out (each for slightly different purposes) and I can reply from the same address, without ever even bothering to look which address the mail was sent to.

I can then read my emails through Digsby (more on that in a mo), and do plenty of cool things with them without ever even opening my inbox. The email search is, as one would expect from Google, perfect - and many other great reasons. If you're still on Hotmail rather than Gmail right now, you're an idiot.

Some people, however, want to keep their Hotmail accounts active for a bit, whilst making the move to Gmail. Others (inexplicably), want to have the access/reply centrally thing I mentioned at the start going on between Hotmail and Gmail. Well, why not? It works with every email provider there is...almost:

Warning You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again.

From Hotmail, when trying to set up a Hotmail/Gmail link
That's bizarre...it seems the forwarding ability is there. They're just locking out domains that 'aren't custom' and 'aren't hotmail' - ie: any of their major competitors. Classy work there, really classy. To me that's just another reason to jump off a sinking ship before they become more and more Draconian in trying to stop you moving on to greener pastures.

Please, ditch Hotmail. Feel free to contact me if you need help doing so.

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Johannes said...

Hi Ina!
Some weeks ago, I wrote an article which is just about this: 10 reasons not to use Hotmail. Have a look at it!
Cheers!
Johannes

Recent Tweets