Wednesday 4 June 2008

Fun on the tube

I've been working in London recently, here's a few amusing little titbits:

1. I was sitting in the carriage next to an empty driver's cabin, and looking through the window to see what the exciting life of a tube driver looked like. On the 'emergency pod' was a listing of all emergency equipment stored inside (flares, first aid kit, etc) - and at the bottom of the list on a post-it note was written 'orange Kit-Kat'.

2. Tube Surfing. It's not really relevant to the last couple of days in London, but I've recently been falling in love with an Urban Sport with the unfortunate name of Tube Surfing. Unfortunate, because it's the same name given to another very dangerous sport I just linked to. This one, far more tame, involves getting a bit drunk (or a lot) and then seeing how far you can travel on the tube without holding on or falling over. Central Line West is a nightmare for this.

3. Guards love the feeling of power they get when they can close a station to newcomers because it's too busy. One of them chased someone who sneaked through yesterday to yell at her - and the other hundred or so people 'sneaked' behind him without him noticing. His face when he turned around was priceless.

Edit: 4. Tube Poker. Thanks to Gareth for the link in the comments. This looks like the best game ever.

Back to my meeting now, more fun later.

Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 6 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

http://www.tubepoker.com/

Jonathan Beckett said...

Excellent post - I still remember my nephew surfing on the tube early one morning while going to meet my other half at the end of the Moon Walk (aka "The Boob Walk").

Ina said...

Tube Poker is literally amazing. I'm totally going to start playing..

Anonymous said...

Tube Poker is indeed the greatest thing ever! I was out in some random pub in London and a giant video screen appeared out of nowhere playing a DVD about it - then some woman sponsoring it came and gave us all free drinks!

Anonymous said...

How is central line west any different from east?

Ina said...

I only go West after drinking is how :P

Recent Tweets