Tuesday 24 June 2008

MySong

Will recently turned me on to a little research project by the name of MySong.

This is a little program which takes in vocal melodies, and automagically provides some backing for them. I've seen a couple of things which can do the same for a midi input, but nothing yet which can tolerate the variance of a vocal input.

It must be especially interesting given that it'll have to withstand its target audience - non-musicians. These folks probably won't have much knowledge of classical scales and the like, so could be all over the place with their melodies.



The video and other stuff they've got up on their site so far looks pretty good, and the software should be fun to play with for people who can actually sing. That doesn't include me I'm afraid.

Also, having looked into doing something similar for my final year project - I can tell you that the science behind this isn't exactly nice. Clever chaps eh? One to keep your ears on anyhow.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets