Wednesday 18 June 2008

OhNoRobot

Picking up on something I've meant to do for about a year now, I've made a brief start on plugging in textual transcriptions of Tie-Dye Heart comics into OhNoRobot

You can see the few I've done so far on Tie-Dye Heart's OhNoRobot. There doesn't appear to be a direct way for you to contribute to transcriptions on the site, but I'll be putting up some buttons on Tie-Dye Heart soon that allow you to transcribe any comic you want for me.

But why?

One easy and obvious reason is so that I can then export the transcriptions and put them on a separate page, with links back to the actual images. This might help me out a bit with the search engine scores, and also help you to find comics by searching for the text within them (rather than trying to remember the obscure name I gave to the comic).

The actual reason I've been keen on this is, however, for blind people with screen readers. I'm after getting the creator of OhNoRobot to open up the site to allow me to automagically add in transcriptions whenever I upload a comic, and then to use those as the <alt> tags of each comic. Accessible humour for all, hurrah!

OhNoRobot


The creator of the whole scheme, by the way, is Ryan North of Qwantz Dinosaur Comics, who also came up with the whole lists/music meme. His comic, in case you didn't notice, is just the same image every time with different text.

You'd think this would get wearing, and indeed he himself describes it as "seeing how much a man can get away with just because he's tall" - but it's actually utterly compelling, in a bizarre and slightly disturbing way. Check it out ^^

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets