Monday 23 June 2008

Week's drinking in Newquay

A couple of weeks ago I headed off to Newquay for Summer Break, hosted by the events company Outgoing.

For the uninitiated; Summer Break is a week long beach party for > 5,000 students. A couple of large holiday parks with tents and caravans are booked out and a horde of students descends upon the frightened local residents of Newquay.

Ina Drunk Hugging Statue Newquay
With so many people around, it was easy to make friends

The days are spent on the beach - with plenty of organised entertainment there (blindfold sack racing and the bikini contest stand out as a couple of highlights). The nights are spent in one of the handful of local clubs taken over by Summer Break, with a few big name DJ acts providing the music and a lot of very drunken students providing the atmosphere.

Group Photo Summer Break Golf
The nights out were themed. I believe this one was 'drunk student' night

I've been busy since getting back, and have neglected to blog about the various fun and events that I did recollect, and as such have only hazy memories of the entire gig even existing. So, you'll have to make do with the pictures scattered throughout this post and the following excerpts from my Twitter feed at the time.

Off to a good start..
packing - 5.40am start tomorrow :( 11:11 PM June 07, 2008 from web

off to Newquay! 05:55 AM June 08, 2008 from txt


Things seem pleasant and innocent enough
enjoying fire and meat and sunshine 06:18 PM June 08, 2008 from txt

Neon Night Summer Break
Disaster strikes at the launderette

Some time passes, alcohol is consumed, a Radio 1 DJ turns up
off to the 80's. So drunk 08:34 PM June 08, 2008 from txt

was just kissed by Scott Mills. No tongue... 01:26 AM June 09, 2008 from txt


Ina Traffic Cone Newquay
I'm at a beach party. In Newquay. And I still manage to find a cone...

More innocent fun
beachtime! 11:55 AM June 09, 2008 from txt

volleyball, frisbee, real water. Awesome 04:37 PM June 09, 2008 from txt


Ina Beach Sandcastle
You'd think I'd be too old for this. You'd be wrong.

No updates follow for the rest of the 9th. I wonder why?

A possible explanation
worst hangover ever 09:54 AM June 10, 2008 from txt

no, wait. Just tried walking. Apparently still Very drunk 10:28 AM June 10, 2008 from txt


Ina hangover
The morning after...

Anyone know what this was about? Anyone?
Indiana Jones and the temple of MAGIC BUS 12:43 AM June 11, 2008 from txt

We decide to leave the beach and alcohol behind for a bit...
walking through fields, lots of stiles but not a fence in sight 01:43 PM June 11, 2008 from txt

found a gorgeous village with a top-notch local pub. Real food too, rather than BBQ I've been having all week 02:52 PM June 11, 2008 from txt



Why were there about 9 stiles, but no fences?

...we were 50% successful I suppose
we'll never get to the beach if we stop off at every pub. Nice cyders though 03:41 PM June 11, 2008 from txt

a small walking tour of Cornwall's breweries' offerings later, I'm at the beach. Anyone know the formula for drunkenness vs depth of water one should swin in? 04:16 PM June 11, 2008 from txt


This hurt so, so much more than I can describe
waterproof suncream in eye versus water. Currently losing: my eye 06:16 PM June 11, 2008 from txt


Students know how to set up drinking games

I'm guessing this explains the rip I found in my shirt..
Pendulum DJ set was ace. So was window climbing 01:57 AM June 12, 2008 from txt


Seriously, students know how to set up drinking games

I'll never eat trifle again
just remembering the semi-solidified shot cocktail I drank last night makes me feel queasy 09:33 AM June 12, 2008 from txt

Dirty Pint Newquay Summer Break
I will not mix cream-based shots with tequila.
I will not mix cream-based shots with tequila.
I will not mix cream-based shots with tequila.


The last day dragged on a bit
pub breakfast complete, just 13 hours to kill before coach arrives...somehow. Ideas anyone? 12:14 PM June 12, 2008 from txt

team awesome and friend are acing the pub quiz 10:53 PM June 12, 2008 from txt

I appear to have volunteered to write pub quiz software for a pub in Newquay. Self-five 12:33 AM June 13, 2008 from txt


I wrote him the software a few days later. He now sends me a copy of his pub quiz every week - awesome!

Seriously, I saw the box labelled 'hash browns'. She just hadn't heard of them before
at the worst takeaway ever - the menu bears no relation to the staffs' English vocabulary 12:06 AM June 13, 2008 from txt

THE HASH BROWNS ARE IN THE FREEZES YOU CRAZY TURKISH LADY. I PROMISE THEY'RE REALLY A FOOD. GET MY DAMN HASH BROWNS :( 12:12 AM June 13, 2008 from txt

chips, the poor man's hash brown. I'm crying inside. 12:32 AM June 13, 2008 from txt


Megabus Ina
End of an adventure. Note the lack of hash browns.

The aftermath
ill :( 06:36 PM June 15, 2008 from web

feel like death...can I take my first day back in the office off sick? Probably not.. 09:36 AM June 16, 2008 from web

it's some combination of a carnivorous diet, alcohol overload and freshers' flu I think 11:43 AM June 16, 2008 from web

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

It's 8000 students :p

...



...


and I pull my mates's housemate :(

Recent Tweets