Wednesday 28 February 2007

I'm great, y'hear?

Took part in another final year research project today - it's pretty fun volunteering for them, you generally get some free sweets and you also get to see a bunch of interesting experiments, and methods of carrying those out.

Today's was for an Audiology dissertation, the experiment was designed to answer the question 'Is auditory memory enhanced by musical training?'. I'd imagine that the answer is yes, and according to the current set of results, it is.

First off I got a hearing test (not entirely sure of the reason I needed one) which disproved my inkling that I might have a couple of problems due to all the music I play and gigs I attend.

Secondly, I was asked to listen to a sequence of tones (ranging from between 4 and ~13 tones at a time), and then to listen to a second series and state whether the two sequences were identical or different. This went on for a fair while.

Thirdly, as a control test, I was asked to listen to a sequence of numbers being read out by a computerised voice, and then, as above, to compare the sequence to a second one.

Needless to say, I got the top 'score' for my responses in both examples out of all the current set of test subjects, and was only slightly better at recalling the tones than I was the numbers. Must come from playing jazz ;)

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets