Tuesday 13 February 2007

Job Satisfaction?

I did a mystery shopping job on the weekend for TNS-Global at a local pub (which scored pretty well, even though the food wasn't too great). Went to submit my questionnaire and payclaim form when I was done with that, and encountered a problem. The questionnaire was fine, but the submit button wouldn't work on Firefox, Opera or Konqueror.

I knew I could have just submitted on IE and it would almost certainly have worked, and it's not even like IE7 isn't usable or safe any more, but it still really annoys me when IT 'professionals' can't be bothered coding to standards and ensuring their sites work on the majority of popular browsers.

So, I got in touch with the regional controller, to ask for the claim to be submitted manually, and also to suggest how they could improve the site to make it usable by all. The replies were...less than satisfactory - she pretty much just told me "If you don't have Internet Explorer, tough". Here's the last two emails we exchanged:

Sarcasm
Unprofessional?

I was possibly a bit sarcastic, but I really can't stand it when people are unprofessional. I won't reply to that last one though - there's calling people out on doing a shoddy job, and then there's just plain hurtful. I'll pass on crossing that particular line.

Also, the general theme of professionalism, I got a phone call from Stepstone Obvious about the 'Obviously Confused' post I made a few days ago. I get the impression they were more concerned about getting feedback for their own improvement, but on the off-chance that anyone took that post as a negative criticism of them, I'd like to point out that they rectified the mistake within 10 minutes and have been brilliant and professional throughout the MS and Rare recruitment processes. For that matter, I was also very impressed with AlexFeinnman - the recruitment agency for Fujitsu, to the point that I sent an email to the superior of the woman who organised everything commending her performance. And I'm not just saying this 'cause they might still be reading ;) I'm done with them now, just remains to see if Microsoft themselves think I'm good enough. Certainly hope so.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets