Thursday 11 October 2007

National Work Placement Exhibition

Today I decided that, instead of doing my normal job, I'd pay a visit to the National Work Placement Exhibition being held over in London. Microsoft had a stand there, with Guitar Hero and lots of fliers, which is where I spent 7 hours or so today, standing around and talking to prospective placement students and graduates.

Naturally, this was pretty tiring, and when I got home today I fell straight into bed. It was fun though, and I got to meet lots of cool people - although all the best folks I met were running the other stalls. All the students looked uncomfortable and out of place in their suits, and were more interested in trying to get a job than having a laugh.

I didn't let any of them get away with being shy though, which had mixed results. If someone just came up to me and didn't say anything, I wouldn't say anything to them. If they asked me to tell them about the schemes, I'd ask them what they wanted to know. I made them think up three questions to ask me once I'd told them stuff, which was quite amusing, but made life more fun for me and got rid of a bit of their nervousness.

Gave an impromptu presentation at one point too to a couple of hundred students, which was quite fun. I knew at 10am that I was going to be talking on the stage at 2pm, but time flew so quickly during the day (I even missed my precious free lunch) that I just assumed the events girl was wrong when she said I only had ten minutes left before I had to get up there. That turned out quite well again though, and folks kept stopping me afterwards to say they enjoyed it - though by now I honestly have no idea what I said.

So, enough tired ramblings for now - same again tomorrow and then I'm off to Birmingham.

Xx

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets