Monday 1 October 2007

Virgin Teenager Lawsuit Shocker!

I recently found this article, during the course of my daily read of the Sydney Morning Herald:

Virgin sued for using teen's photo

Now, the story's fairly amusing on its own, but if you look a little closer, you can find some really funny stuff in there:

1. The SMH have reproduced the photo on their website, and presumably in their paper too. Massive media exposure there...and they managed to violate the CC license which the entire lawsuit revolves around by not stating where the photo was taken. If any lawyers are reading...quick! Go sue! If they actually do get sued for this, I'll laugh so hard I might cry...

2. Anyone else make the connection between:
“The experience damaged Alison's reputation and exposed her to ridicule from her peers...” and “‘A lot of her church friends saw it.’"?

Nice Church she goes to...

3. "The lawsuit, filed in Dallas late yesterday, names Virgin Mobile USA LLC, its Australian counterpart, and Creative Commons Corp, a Massachusetts nonprofit that licenses sharing of Flickr photos, as defendants."

Someone remind me why they're suing Creative Commons? A non-profit organisation that publishes some legalese on the web for others to use freely. Seriously, I'd love to know.

--

So, there you have it folks. I know a lot of you whine and ignore me when I tell you off for using images you found on the web for whatever purpose you want, without checking the licensing - maybe this'll get you to think a bit harder. Or maybe not.

--

By the way, I hope you like my new style of tit(i)l(at)ing my blog posts by the way - I'm trying to see whether the editors over at The Sun are really advertising geniuses, or just idiots with a poor grasp of grammar. I'll review what sort of traffic this gets and let you know...

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

Oh, virgin as in the mobile company... Dammit.

Ina said...

See what I did there? ;)

Recent Tweets