Sunday 31 August 2008

I'd like a job, please

Back at the start of June, I applied for jobs at a few of the major international technology firms. I wanted to get my applications in early, in case I got myself a US-based job, so that I could get a work permit and such things sorted in plenty of time.

It's been coming up to three months now, and I've not heard a single thing back from any of them. I'm fairly sure that Microsoft will at least phone me, given the three years I've spent doing various things for them and the lovely reference my manager (apparently) will give...so I'm not sure whether this should worry me or not.

Is it simply that their recruitment processes haven't started yet, and my applications haven't even been looked at? Or perhaps they have been looked at, but there'll be no contact until their processes start? Or they all hate me?

I simply don't know, and it's quite frustrating waiting with no knowledge at all. I appreciate they probably get a few too many applications to have a weekly 10-minute chat with each one, but perhaps a little transparency would go a long way. Would it really kill these people to let applicants know a little about the internals of their recruitment processes?

Better not bitch too much though...I still want those jobs.

Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Unknown said...

All I can say is mate...

I feel your pain.

Right now I am feeling it, Applying lime mad to as many and as varied a job as I can find in the north west and after maybe 40 applications only 1 telephone interview with little or no feedback from the rest.

I keep thinking, is my CV naff, or am I making some sort of other elementary set of mistakes in each one to make it so my application is thrown out out of hand...

But meh.

Frustration reigns.

Ina said...

They have jobs in the North West nowadays? ;)

Keep your chin up, you'll find something.

Recent Tweets