Wednesday 20 August 2008

Somnesia

'Somnesia', defined (rarely) as 'the state of forgetfulness experienced when recently awoken' is the name of a pseudo-modal jazz composition of mine that we'll be recording in a couple of weeks.

It's a 5 minute instrumental, and is certainly the most technically demanding for all involved (Julie on trumpet and piano, myself on bass, Pete on drums) - as well as being put together in a very untraditional manner. We're all playing from sheet music, but it's only recently we've even been able to play the piece without an (awful) computer midi version of the tune playing along in the background, so sporadic and structured is it.

Things are sounding up now, and it should be a beautiful piece once we finally get it recorded, but already we're planning tricks in the recording studio to make it work. This is one we simply will never be able to play live, in its true form, due to the sudden changes and wild passages that lend the piece its tone. Which is also why I'm so keen to get it recorded in a studio.

This all being said, I think the other two might hit me next time I suggest we rehearse it. After a few times through it Julie's claiming headaches and the drummer feels mentally exhausted from the concentration. I'm getting along with it OK - provided I only listen to myself and no-one else. Not exactly ideal when I'm meant to be orchestrating things though..

Now then, I'm off to make a suggestion. Get the plasters out.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets