Friday 29 December 2006

I'm sure I've eaten this before...

FDA approves cloned meat

Finally! I think my first comment on seeing Dolly the sheep was "Great! More meat!" so naturally I'm very pleased about this one.

Firstly, we're going to (when mass-production becomes economically viable) enjoy the benefits of very cheap meat, as there will be no wastage of food and time spent on animals that produce meat which cannot be used. This will help massively with humanitarian aid schemes, and more importantly, will mean I can afford to eat more wonderful meat.

Secondly, the overall quality of food will drastically increase with this one. You know how Marks & Spencer will spend months searching for the most sublime cattle to carve up and put in a little foil tray for you? Well, once they find that animal, they'll be able to clone it off a few hundred times, and soon every 80p ready meal will contain meat of that quality.

Sure, it may look like I'm being a bit heartless here, but I think we crossed the line at the point that we decided to keep animals in captivity for the sole purpose of murdering them and using most of their body parts for our own pleasure and needs. It's a small step from there to screw with their natural breeding cycle (which we pretty much do already, I don't think the animals in stud farms to get forge meaningful relationships). People complaining about the health aspect are being completely stupid too - the FDA has banned plenty of things that had only a 1% chance of causing harm, so if they give this the go ahead, I'm not too worried. Admittedly they're Americans, but they do have a good track record so far.

Lots of meat!

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets