Sunday 2 December 2007

All locked up with no way to go

Yesterday, around tea-time, I was happily sitting on my sofa, watching repeats of Top Gear on Dave. To my right was a bowl of red pepper houmous (which I'm growing to tolerate, if not actively like), and a plate of cucumber wedges and sliced peppers which I was dipping in said bowl. To my left, on the arm of the sofa, was my laptop, and next to it, my front door key.

This story does get better, promise.

Having gotten all the entertainment I could out of Facebook for the day, and with Top Gear hotting up, I decided to move my laptop to the floor. Whilst leaning over to do this, I knocked my key off the arm of the sofa. I know I did this, because I heard a metallic 'ting'.

Oh well.

So, I then proceeded to get up so I could pick up the key...and couldn't immediately find it. Half an hour passed, with me turning the living room upside down, taking the sofa apart and even checking the kitchen, in case of a miraculous bounce.

I've managed to lose my front door key, in my own living room.

Now, with my housemate arriving home the next day, and having no need to go out that night, this wasn't really going to be a problem. When he got home, he could let himself in, and I could then simply get a new key cut - once he'd checked over the living room to make sure I wasn't being completely insane (he has, by the way, checked it, and also can't find the key). As such, I happily went off to bed at some hour and thought little more of it.

Sweet dreams...

Until I got woken up by a phone call at 9am this morning from that housemate, telling me that he'd been up all night in London due to various mix-ups, and was on his way home having had no sleep. Oh, and, his house key was currently in a flat in London, so could I let him in.

Yeah right.

Naturally, I thought that one of the people I'd complained to about my missing key had told him, and so he was winding me up. Also naturally, he assumed I was merely winding him up when I said that the door was locked and I had no key. So, a few minutes passed until he actually got to the door...and then we were faced with a predicament.

A cunning plan was in order.

As it was, he eventually managed to clamber in through a window I opened for him, and we're now both stuck inside a locked house with no key. Tomorrow we've both got to be in work by 9am (and for me, that means getting to London) which should be quite fun. Current plan of action is to set the alarm and then leg it to the window and jump out before the alarm goes off on us. Then, hope no-one decides to clamber in until our other housemate arrives at midday.

If you're a burglar in the Reading area and don't mind loud alarms, please disregard the above.

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Unknown said...

/me awaits the next instalment of the story forever dubbed. 'The Calamity of Ina'

Recent Tweets