Tuesday 22 April 2008

One liners

I love Tommy Cooper style jokes, aka 'one-liners'. I was browsing through a big list of Tommy Cooper's One Liners trying to find a certain joke (below) when it ocurred to me that they're not really one liners at all - but two lines long at least.

Line 1: "So I got home, and the phone was ringing. I picked it up, and said 'Who's speaking please?'
Line 2: And a voice said 'You are.'"
Some of the ones on that site are three or four lines long. The misnomer is disgraceful.

"And the back of his anorak was leaping up and down, and people were chucking money to him.
I said 'Do you earn a living doing that?'
He said 'Yes, this my livelihood.'"
I'd visited the site after being reminded of a favourite one liner, and sending it to a few people on MSN. Most of them let me get to the punchline before replying, but one girl didn't:

Ina says:
Yesterday, someone offered me 8 legs of venison for £50
Imogen says:
jesus christ
Imogen says:
did you buy it?

I was almost tempted not to supply the punchline ('But I said "No, that's 2 deer') there...

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

See, when I first read that, I thought you were making a joke about 'buy' being used to mean 'believe'. Took me two reads to realise you weren't.

Recent Tweets