Tuesday 1 April 2008

Silent Music

Audible songs are everywhere nowadays, and they're really starting to lose their edge. I'm far more impressed with some of the textual and graphical representations of songs I've found whilst browsing the internet for April Fools today (of which there were many, many brilliant examples). After getting RickRoll'd by both YouTube and Blogger (hey thanks Google *sadface*) I stumbled across this:

Rick Astley Rickroll Diagram
I checked, the proportions are accurate

It seems there's an entire subculture of people who get up to making these graphs - there's some Flickr sets of them here and here, for example. Here's another one I love.

Danger High Voltage Electric 6 Graph

We also can't forget XKCD's superb, superb UML compliant contribution to the whole meme:

XKCD Hammertime UML Collaborate
I doodled this in my exams

--

If you visited XKCD today, you'd notice that it redirected to Questionable Content. When I first saw the following in Questionable Content's twitter feed on the site...



...I thought that this was a joke Randall was playing on everyone - even Jeph, but it's actually a lovely circular, three way April Fools with XKCD redirecting to Questionable Content, Questionable Content redirecting to Qwantz Dinosaur Comics, and Quantz redirecting to...XKCD. A good prank...but a superb marketing ploy.

You might think I've been off on a bit of a tangent here, but I was actually just leading up to yet another way to display music, as posted on Quantz's Livejournal...lists!

For example:

# Things I ain't afraid of:

* no ghost


# Strange things in the neighbourhood (partial list):

* seeing things running through head
* invisible man sleeping in bed


# Things that make me feel good:

* bustin'


# Who you gonna call:

* Ghostbusters
* I can't hear you
* Louder


--

  • Things across which Daddy has flown:
    • the ocean

  • Things which Daddy has left behind for me:
    • a memory
    • unknown

  • Things which we don't need:
    • no education
    • no thought control
    • no dark sarcasm in the classroom

  • Conditions in which teachers are requested to leave them/us kids:
    • alone

  • Things the having of which is dependent upon the eating of meat:
    • pudding

  • Things which I don't need:
    • no arms around me
    • no drugs to calm me
    • anything at all

  • Things which I have seen:
    • the writing on the wall

  • Things which, all in all, are or were just bricks in the wall:
    • it
    • you


And on, and on - you get the idea, check the LiveJournal post for more.

--

Edit: One final one Clush just found after reading this:

Kelis Milkshake Graph

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

Snap :)

http://willwithaw.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D1AE0ADF6D40C71A!1026.entry

Ina said...

Great minds indeed - scary.

Also I literally fell on the floor laughing at that Jay-Z one, my housemate plays that song in the car all the time.

Recent Tweets