Monday 12 May 2008

B-a-b-y

When I was 16 or so, I had a fairly short term girlfriend, inbetween a couple of other similar lucky ladies. Possibly because I thought it was sweet, and likely because it saved the embarassment of forgetting her name, I took to calling her 'baby'. I'd call her 'baby' in person, in general conversation ('my baby's coming around tonight'), she was stored as such on my phone and email...you get the idea.

I would normally have probably been a bit embarassed to reveal that, if it wasn't for the fact that whilst glancing at the phones of friends and intern-colleagues (who shall remain nameless for now) I note that a fair few of them still indulge in this habit.

Babe On Board
Warning: Fake tan ahead

Most girls I know nowadays would respond to being called 'baby' or 'babes' with swift physical violence. I don't claim to know why I thought it was a good idea at the time (I'll claim youthful naiveity/stupidity), and I can't think why either party would think so today. Is there perhaps some passing reference to 'sweet as a newborn' or 'smooth as a baby's..' in there? Are there a lot of English girls with 'baby' as a registered forename?

Let me know.
Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

'Bird' is worse. There should be laws against women being referred to as my hot/that fat/you're an ugly bird.

Ju said...

you dare call me "baby" or "babe" and you'll be subject to some of that swift physical violence mentioned :P

However nothing can be as bad as the retarded boy being from Birmingham and insisting on calling you "babs".

Recent Tweets