Thursday 29 May 2008

Final Year Project Proposal

I've just submitted my proposal for my final year computer science project, entitled:

Centralised and Individualised Machine Learning in a Multi-Agent Simulation

Sounds cool eh? You can read the detailed proposal here.

The above isn't too technical a document, but if you're just too lazy to read it, here's a quick overview:

I'm going to create a virtual world, and fill it with 'people' that are capable of interacting with the environment and one another. I'm then going to give these people one of twenty of so 'personalities' that I've defined, to give the world a bit more flavour and sense of reality. These are my 'dumb' people.

I'm then going to introduce some 'intelligent' people that will originally know nothing other than how things are currently going, and how they want them to go. They'll use reinforcement learning (a type of machine learning/artificial intelligence) to get from A to B. These guys will then interact with the dumb people as they see fit.

Finally, I'll have some kind of 'chief' person that all the intelligent people will report back to. It'll therefore be the most intelligent person in the virtual world, and will be able to give advice/issue instructions to the intelligent people.


Read the next paragraph


The example I gave in the document is a super intelligent police chief, controlling intelligent police officers, looking after a dumb populace - but I'm not definitely going to go with that. So, any other suggestions of scenarios that I can put my three types of people into would be Extremely Welcome. Seriously guys.

Also, any other feedback, experiences in this field, technical advice, or links to useful documents/books/resources/code would also be appreciated.

Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 7 comments so far.

cathy said...

God, the Pope?????????

Don't expect to see that somehow.

If it's a world thing, how about leader of the UN, or leader of a benevolent multi-national?

Anonymous said...

How about a University Lecturer, Post-grad tutors and Students! No shame in appealing to the vanity of the marker is there??

Anonymous said...

headteacher> teachers> pupils

pope>clergy>populace (although I have reservations about using the word 'intelligence' when describing this particular hierarchy!)

boss>supervisors>drone type people who do all the real work

pretty much any community or society is hierarchical, guess it just depends what kind of relationship you want to be looking at, whether its just one of influence (in which case how about that guy that owns all the newspapers>journalists>readers?) or one of actual control (eg army ranks, although since i know squat about the army i'd go with king>knights>foot soldiers)

I am probably no help, since i seem to be looking at in from a more sociological viewpoint :S

Anonymous said...

Hmm, funny thing that I was also thinking about some sort of AI for my final project (which is still more than a year in the future), though probably I'd go for a more theoretical approach with neural networks (since that's what most of our maths staff do anyways). My problem is that I don't know enough about the subject yet, so I'll have to do a bit of reading while on placement =)

As for examples - those Paranoia sessions spring to mind :D That'd be cool

Good luck with the project, I hope so see how it goes to get an idea of what I might expect from mine.

Ina said...

Thanks for all the ideas guys - I love the cheek of Sooz's one ;)

I'm certainly tempted to look into some kind of war/battle simulation too, but I'm worried that it's a bit too closed a scenario.

In my mind (and this'll never happen), the police might go further than just arresting rabble rousers, they may even note that people are unhappy because they lack food, and then take food to people to circumvent revolt.

It's hard to think of another scenario where such vague goals can be given..

Neural networks would be ace, but possibly a bit too far outside of my scope of knowledge.

Trying to apply logic to Paranoia would be literally impossible, but I will run some sessions again soon ;)

Anonymous said...

Apply it to some games. GTA, WoW, BF2 (that'd work especially well...).

Other real-world scenarios could be Airport Security (with introduction of goal of getting populace to a certain area), Aiport Control Towers, Festival Crowd control...

Ju said...

It's a bit boring but I thought maybe a big shopping centre scenario. It would allow your dumb characters to eat/feed themselves, as well as buy things they need, and also the security staff/shop keepers (intelligent beings) to catch shop lifters and trouble makers etc.
Then maybe you could have a shopping centre manager as your "queen".

Recent Tweets