Tuesday 6 May 2008

Technical Difficulties

As they'd decided not to implement the little known interface standard known as 'USB', I ended up trying to read the instruction manual for Canon's MV890 camcorder today.

Not only did the camera not come with the cables needed - they'd also decided to ship a manual written in French, German and Italian. My French is ok, so I started reading through that manual, and shortly enough discovered that the information I wanted was to be found on pages 69 and 70.

Sure enough, I turn to page 69 and I see a picture relating to what I want to do. I also notice that all the writing's in German. You see, for reasons I never did discover, the manual isn't triplicated into French, German and Italian - it's simply switching between the three.

The first 35 pages or so, dealing with setting up the camera, are in French. The next 35 or so, dealing with how to record, are in Italian. The final 35 pages or so, dealing with how to get your media off the camera, are in German.

I'm still bewildered, both by the above, and by the fact that there's not a single Firewire mini-mini cable available anywhere within Microsoft UK, or computer shops in Reading.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets