Saturday 24 November 2007

Drinks in Prague

I don't think I've actually mentioned yet that the reason I was over in Prague was for some 'soft skills' training with work, alongside a bunch of other evangelists from around Europe and Africa. It's great being in a classroom environment with this type of audience, because you get so much interaction and contribution from everyone else - although with everything being in our native tongue, the brits were probably a bit louder, as you'd expect ;)

After a hard day's work, DPE folks are also great at partying. The first night was spent trying to find some 'authentic' Czech bars, and drinking some 'authentic' Czech beer. We eventually found some bars where the majority of people didn't seem to be speaking English, and where herring was on the menu instead of steak and chips, and so we settled down for a few drinks.

Now, we'd already heard of Budweiser (the real stuff) and Pilsner before, so we decided to order the other beer available - which had a name I'll never remember and had no chance of pronouncing. Turned out to be a quite sweet and very, very nice dark beer, and I stuck to drinking this for the first two nights.

On the third day however, I was told by one of the Slovakians on the course that dark beer was traditionally drunk by...Czech women. The big, hairy Czech women, to be more precise. Well, hey - I drink girly drinks back home too, and I'm pretty sure they weren't selling Bacardi and Coke there anyway.

Ah well, very fun times - I don't remember much of the first night, but I do recall catching the end of England's loss to Croatia in that most homely of Czech lodges - 'Fat Boy's Bar' on the third night. I also managed to turn up very hungover and half an hour late to the first morning of training (I thought it started at 9, not 8:30, in my defence), which was pretty much an expectation being the resident student there :)

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

cathy said...

Love the new background - you can tell me how to do it sometime!

Ina said...

Erm, mostly hacking around with HTML - maybe when I'm home :)

Recent Tweets