Thursday 21 June 2007

Paris - Americans

Dumb Americans

Like chlamydia,

Any post that starts with 'Like chlamydia' is bound to be good isn't it?

Like chlamydia, Americans are unfortunately to be found all over Europe nowadays, and Paris is no exception. To Americans I mean, but - I'm sure it also has more than its fair share of STDs too. Maybe that explains the smell?

So anyway, Americans in Paris. Americans who may or may not be harbouring dangerous venereal diseases.

Wait, I'm not implying I think they (the Americans, or the French for that matter, though they probably do) might have certain embarrassing and painful ailments, and I'm certainly not implying they picked them up in a Parisienne backstreet, I was just making the analogy that Americans are all over Paris, like I presume chlamydia is. In fact, I have no grounding at all to presume it's all over Paris, let alone all over the Americans. And certainly no proof it's dwelling in the Americans in Paris.

Speaking of Americans in Paris, we saw some, which was amusing enough on its own, but we also heard quite a few of them. There was one point, walking through some of the dodgier parts after getting off at a fairly random Metro station, when we were actually hoping to hear an American voice signifying that we were in a tourist-friendly zone, and not about to get stabbed.

Here's a selection of some of my favourite eavesdropped quotes from fellow tourists of an American background (I don't think these guys had chlamydia, though it's possible. If they did have it, then they probably didn't pick it up in Paris, though that's also possible):

At a gift shop;
"What's the French for souvenir?"

Best Ever;
"I still can't believe the F word isn't actually French."

The Venus de Milo;
"Come on Brad, this one doesn't even have any arms."

In the Louvre, in front of Egyptian papyrus comprising part of a philosophical work on life and death;
"Hey, cool! They had cartoons back then!"

Entrée + Plats de jour - €30;
"Hey Brad, you can get food and entry here for 30 bucks."

At another gift shop;
"Yo Brad, will these like, French magnets work back home y'think?"

In a restaurant (disturbingly);
"I've been watching girls pee for like, an hour now"

They weren't actually all called Brad, but I can't remember which one was...

--

Part of the Paris series of posts.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets