Monday 2 July 2007

The slide

So...death by Powerpoint today. There was one really interesting talk, but, like all the best stuff, it started off with "Now, I'll tell you x, but only if you promise me you won't go outside this room and blog about it". But, rest assured that you're really missing out and I had fun.

Got a bit of an overview of the company today too, so I now know a lot more about the Business departments and specific arrangements for interns working in London. On the other side, the Business interns at London now know more about the Techie departments, and specific arrangements for interns at Reading. Does anyone see some way they could possibly have split us into differing groups for presentations? Nope, me neither..

I was fairly appalled at the standard of some of the presenters today, be it people who stuffed their slides with 60 words, and then read each one verbatim, or, my personal peeve, people who filled Every Single gap with the word 'Ummm'. I won't name names, because people like to Google themselves, and it's a little early to make enemies I guess.

There was a good talk from the head of my department, DPE, which managed to be really, really informative for completely unexpected reasons. I'd hoped to find out my specific role, and where I fitted into the company, but was perfectly happy with the hour and a half presentation despite not hearing a word about this. Should be very interesting stuff indeed working there, and having met/heard a fair portion of the higher echelons of the department, I'm looking forward to the company and challenges.

On the downside, there's no real work tomorrow either, so I think I'll bring my DS along for the main part of the day. We've even got 'homework', which appears to be the same half-arsed teambuilding exercise used last year, and used at the intern open day I went to a couple of weeks back. Gotta love the Microsoft originality. I was also amused by the fact that pretty much every 'team' in this exercise is composed of people living together, and that the teams don't interact at all.

Well, that's enough ranting, I'm rather tired. Apologies to Beautiful South fans, by the way. Xx

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets