Friday 27 July 2007

I hate BT

So I was going to blog about all the trouble I've had from these guys, but I spent this afternoon's free time writing a letter to them, as I simply couldn't get through to their complaints department on the phone. As such, I need to get back to work now, so here's the letter verbatim instead :(

--

[My address, reference numbers etc]

Dear Sir/Madam,

May I first apologise if the tone of this letter seems unfriendly to the reader. The writing of it recalls many annoyances I have experienced, and I do understand that the person reading it is likely not to have had any part in the many troubles I have experienced. That being said...

I wish to complain about the standard of customer service I have recently received from BT, in my first weeks of service from yourselves. I hold an account (number above) with you merely for the purposes of line rental, yet this has taken more trouble and time than any other part of moving into my new home.

I received a bill from you on July 24th stating that an amount of £12.50 was overdue. This was the first I’d heard of any such amount, as I had been awaiting a direct debit mandate I had been told was being posted out – which I have yet to see. Furthermore, I had also been told that line rental was £11.00 per month, and not £12.50, so am still unsure as to where this figure came from.

Regardless, the figure seemed about right, and I was busy at the time, so decided to write the £1.50 off and pay my bill – using the handy online service. I kept on receiving unspecified errors whilst trying to sign up, so concluded that the website must be under service and tried phoning instead a day or two later, when I had some free time to do so. (I later managed to sign up to the website, but was unable to tie my bill account into my online account, receiving the following error “There was a problem processing your request. Please try again later”)

The automated phone service proceeded, albeit a bit lengthily, nicely enough, until I had finished entering in my debit card details. Once I had done this, I was repeatedly asked to type in my card’s issue number, and repeatedly told this was not recognized. Assuming I had made a mistake, and as there was no way to navigate backwards, I spent another 5 minutes going through the process, and encountered exactly the same error. I then assumed that there must be a problem with my card, and spent another 5 minutes until I could enter the details for another card...and received the same error.

At this point I rang up the enquiries line, which unfortunately seemed to direct me to the automated service regardless of which series of options I selected, until I clued into the fact that if I simply pretended I didn’t have a touchtone phone, I would eventually (the time, for the record, is three minutes of automation before the system works out I can’t press any buttons) be transferred to an operator - or, more precisely, to a long queue for an operator.

The first three operators (separate calls each time) all seemed shocked when I read out my account number to them, telling me that I’d have to be transferred as my account number started with ‘GB’, apparently I was through to the call centre for another country. They then told me they were transferring me and promptly hung up the phone, leaving my line dead. The fourth time I rang through and asked to be transferred to the complaints department, and was instead put through to ‘reconnections’, where a helpful young man apologised (the first time from any BT employee) and said he’d put me straight through to the complaints department. Unfortunately, he didn’t realise that he was actually transferring me to a queue, which I had to leave after 47 minutes as I was running late for a meeting at work.

As such I have simply (and grudgingly, given how much time I have lost for such a small bill that has mysteriously appeared) sent the money online through my internet banking facility, where I believe it will take a short delay to reach you.

I would appreciate the following outcomes from this letter:
• That your online service be investigated and fixed
• That your online service implements industry ‘best practise’ and only provides users with helpful, informative error messages
• That your automated phone service for payments be fixed
• That your call centre staff receive sufficient training to transfer people without hanging up
• That I am sent a direct debit mandate for future payments
• That I receive an explanation for the increased cost of my bill
• And finally, preferably, that I receive some compensation as a goodwill gesture and ‘corporate apology’ (because, no matter how heartfelt, the apology of one individual who has to date had no interaction with me, would obviously not be appropriate).

Thanks very much in advance.
Yours,




Ian MacGillivray.

Leave a comment, or read the 22 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

At least you have a phone line! I've been on hold/transferred around all day trying to buy one from BT!!

My Beautiful Decay said...

Same here, I'm still trying to reach the department that can access my account, for some reason it is locked, but am thinking that this department does not exist......I am in the oblivion of BT new lines, I have now lost all manner of patience with them and sent an email to their CEO, congrats BT, you are useless.....good to know I am not alone in this thought

Ina said...

Seems I should be counting myself lucky then - although I am tentatively picking up the phone every morning to see if they've cut me off for non-payment yet.

I found initially getting the line reactivated at this new house to take far, far too long, but it did at least get done, and I did manage to get through to the right department of their helpline for once.

Good luck guys :(

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Well, you're by no means alone with your experiences with BT. My blog (TheRantMan at Wordpress) page began as a rant, but seems to be developing into a catalogue of cockups by British Telecom.
All the best,
Jim

Anonymous said...

Well - I hate BT as well. Stuck here waiting for a new line to come in after I had a colossal argument with VirginMedia about why my bill went up £30 a month. The guy I spoke to even used the line "I'm sorry sir, but there are no marketing opportunuties available to you as an existing customer." Up yours you b@st@rd.

Little did I know I would reach an un-known level of rage when I spoke to BT to chase my order only to find that they had not done anything with it. Initally they were going to transfer it from Virgin and that would be that. Now they want me to pay £124.99 for an engineer to come out as - apparently - I have a ceased connection. WTF???

And the last guy I spoke to had the nerve to imply that I had given them the wrong information and it was all my fault! I'm sure the monopolies commission ought to take a look at their market share of the hardware. Why should I use their lines just to have service from another ISP?

Updates to follow, likely with more expletives and nasty comments about their parents!
Matt

Ina said...

Not their parents! If you do so, I recommend something along the lines of elderberries and hamsters.

I'm currently cut off from BT for, hilariously, not paying my bill. I didn't pay it because I couldn't contact them, and I can't contact them to tell them this.

Wonderful. I'll be putting up a new blogpost soon addressing all the latest issues, keep up the fight guys.

Unknown said...

Ina, I'm in the middle of trying to get my BT line reactivated. We've just moved into a new flat and the line hasn't been used in an age. I've contacted them 4 times in the last 6 weeks and nobody ever rings me back to arrange the reactivation. Can you tell me how long it took to get reactivated?

Ina said...

Hi Jennifer,

I had the exact same issue when I moved in here, but this particular interaction was quite painless.

I rang up BT on their main switchboard, and got put in a queue, with the option get a 'ringback' from them.

They rang back, and I had the new line after a day, though they warned me that the number they'd given me wasn't guaranteed until after a week. No idea what that was about though, as the number they gave me originally turned out to be the number I still have.

My latest blog entry has a couple of tips that might come in useful. Try ringing the direct line (saynoto0870) first, and if that doesn't work, you could always try e-mailing the CEO.

Good luck! :)
Ina.

Anonymous said...

Oh grow up you lot. If u dont like BT dont fucking use them! BT customers are the biggest moaning bunch of cocks ive ever heard. i have no service, my order this, my order that. Fuck off.

Ina said...

It's a bit hard not to use them when they have a monopoly on the phone-line infrastructure dearie.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Just off the phone from BT trying to order BT Vision. This is because the ordering website is being worked on (and therefore is offline).

I had to wait in a queue for ages, with this annoying woman saying "You can order online @ bt.com/btvision." Ahhhhhh I can't you stupid woman!!!!!!!!!

She then had the cheek to tell me that they were very busy and that was why I was in a queue! No BT, you just need more workers!

I know someone who once spent his whole morning on the phone to BT waiting in queues, being transferred from one person to the other (that is really annoying because you have to start again with each person "Name----" "Phone No----" etc.), being cut off and having that dreaded woman saying:

"For x press 1, for y press 2"

BT's customer service is abysmal, and they should be told by the government to buck their ideas.

There could also be a poll in the papers- "Do you hate BT?"

Then again, the actual technicians are always pleasant (to me, are they to everyone else?).

Good luck with all of your experiences!

Will

Anonymous said...

My current record calling BT is 6 hours 20 minutes, alternating between being on hold, explaining the problem and being transferred!

The outcome - I was cut finally cut off while still on hold because customer services close at 10pm!

John

Anonymous said...

I have also received appaling service from BT. I am trying to do something about it. Please sign my online petition - if i get enough signatures, I will send it to the UK telecom regulator and ask them to launch an official investigation. Please tell all your friends about my petition - maybe they also know people who've had similar experiences!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Force_BT_to_improve_service/

Anonymous said...

Nice to see all your rants but lets just put a new perspective on it shall we? I have worked for BT via agencies and I can honistly tell you that the customer is always wrong (in their eyes).

Us poor buggers really wont have to listen to customers for much longer because BT have started a major relocation of its services to guess where??? You got it INDIA!! So if yo uthink you are all pissed off now just wait until the end of ‘08 when the other barriers you have are language.

And yes, if I do sound bitter its because I am one of those poor bastards who had now lost his job. Try walking onto your floor in one of the BT callcentres (UK) and seeing 80% of it full of Indians who have come to the UK, been given the golden handshake, their own laptop and treated with kid gloves…..BT IS THE DEVIL!!!

PS. Patitions are all well and good but to improve the service it doesnt help if nearly every employee have the sword of damocles hanging over them!

Codeshift said...

My last phonebill (I got charged through using a mobile as I had no landline installed due to BT fuckeries..) to BT came to £70 and involved be talking or being on hold for 8 hours in a month. Mind you, in this time I was mostly being passed from department to department being told consistently that I wasn't in the right place, pleading for them not to put me through to India and then sure enough being put through to .... India. Surprise eh? I don't know if anyone found this either, but when getting through to an Indian call centre, I was aware that I would get no help as they would be reading from scripts and also have no authority to authorise any refunds - but they would be insistant that they could help. Initially I gave them a chance and sure enough it resulted in the same old 'off the script' stuff. Then I'd ask to speak to their supervisor or to be put through to an English centre and get hung up on.

That's the other thing - there's no accountability!! No-one will tell you your name and they are not even able to transfer you to individuals within the centres. There's nothing worse than having to explain the same thing time and time again... god I think I must have explained myself and the cause of my frustration about 500 times before finally I got throught to a supervisor who gave me her email address.

BT are truly pants, there is no other way about it. When my contract runs out, I will go with another company. Consumer power is the only way forward. They really treat their customers like shit.

THE MOST ANNOYING THING IS THAT THEY ASK YOU TO TYPE IN YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND THEN AS SOON AS YOU GET THROUGH TO THE OPERATOR THEY ASK FOR IT STRAIGHT OFF!!! WHAT'S THE POINT OF THAT!!!???

Anonymous said...

So far my latests issue has generated 187 pages of computer-gereated clap trap.
The two promises of phone calls at specific times have not come ( maybe their phone is off) .
Simple question: which is the best operator to switch to - local and international phone and broadband?
Thanks, MS

Ina said...

Hey MS€ (and all others I've been neglectful of replying to, I am reading though),

Sorry to hear of your woes - I've recently switched over to Virgin myself. They offer a pretty sweet deal with TV, phone and internet all thrown in - and no need for a BT line at all.

I believe they've got some good international calls setups too - and they're pretty useful and friendly when you ring up. They even turn up on time and do what they say too - no complaints as yet!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Finally they called and at their fourth attempt actually called when they said they would. But, wait for it, the message was to tell me that they couldn't help and that I had to call another department!
Love it.
Off to Virgin.
MS

Anonymous said...

I work for BT home IT support. You want to know the real truth?? BT does not give a shit about their customers! Or their employees. I get paid £6.50 an hour to help people with every pc issue they have!
Oh, by the way, BT outsourced home it support, we actually work for SITEL (who are also a shit company!) I agree that no one should have to talk to some idiot in India who can’t understand the word STREET! So many times I take transfers from THD in India and they have done nothing for the customers. For us to help you on our desk, you have to pay for it! Which I think is stupid. It’s just another way for BT to get your money. Trust me, DO NOT START SERVICE WITH BT. they claim they can give you 8 Meg broadband?? I have never seen a BT line reach that much, it isn’t possible, unless you had the bloody exchange right next to your pc. BT know they are in shit now, virgin can offer fibre optic broadband. BT is almost 6 years behind. They haven’t even started to work on that kind of line yet. Go with someone else, BT are crap. From an agent who works for but ps, BT, go F**k yourself, oh same for SITEL! You do not give a damm about your employees.
Oh, one last thing, this is to customers who ring our desk at 10 at night with stupid pc issue...Haven’t you got anything better to do! Why ring us that late to fix an issue that I’m sure can wait until the daytime. I don’t care if you can’t receive mail or get web pages. Power cycle your router! If that doesn’t work, it’s because your BT line is crap! I really don’t care about any of your issues! I don’t get paid enough to care!
Why ring us on a Saturday or Sunday, why can’t you just go out like other people and enjoy the outside world for god's sake. If you don’t know how to use a pc, don’t bloody get one, plain and simple! And for those customers who think they know it all about pc’s...if you’re so smart...why are you ringing us?? You can’t be that smart you idiots. And to all the customers who yelled down the phone about a problem I can’t help with...shut the f**k up you idiot!
I feel so much better now, don’t go with BT, they don’t care, and I bet half the employees don’t, we slag customers and BT managers off all time. Just remember, if we really want to, we can decide not to help you, placed an order but with us...but was a twat to us at the same time?? Guess what, your order hasn’t been placed!!! Yelling down the phone at us, you want to make a complaint? Guess what, were not putting it through, we have the power to do what we want really, if you’re really nasty to us, we can make sure you can’t access your emails, it’s a simple thing to do to change all your password.
I agree BT are shit, but don’t take it out the poor idiot who gets paid peanuts to deal with your issue, it’s not our fault, its BT as a whole and all the money grabbing fucking managers who sit on their arse making stupid demands, who I guarantee hast taken a call from a customer in their entire fucking life.
I really hope this gets around, and I hope other BT employees join me in slagging them off. You all know how shit it can be, and you all know they could make it so much easier and better for the customers. It’s not fucking hard.
From An agent working for BT HOME IT SUPPORT. (Ps, just want to say that not all you customers are bad, I have spoken to so many great customers who have spoken to me with manners, who haven’t treated me like shit, and have actually stroke up a great conversation and made me smile for the rest of my shift, thank you.
bye bye

Anonymous said...

Gah, I've just discovered how evil BT are for myself...

The line I ordered for my new place was meant to be ready after 12 working days. After about 17 the number we were told we'd have was still dead. I phoned to ask why and they told me the number I'd been given wasn't mine, so was put on hold while various people tried to find out what my phone number was. Eventually the line went dead.
I phoned back several times to be put in a queue for God knows how long with no answer. Decided to trick the automated system by getting myself into a queue that offered the call-back option so I wouldn't have to stay on the line. Got my call back, but the line immediately went dead.
When I finally got through I was told my order had been cancelled and I hadn't been told. The next day I had to call them to order a new line again 0.0

At least it's a freephone number, but because I obviously don't have a BT line I have to call it from my mobile so I am being charged to be kept on hold. I wouldn't go anywhere near them but, like you say, there's no-one else. If we want internet we have to have a BT line. Egads =(

Theeny x

Anonymous said...

Hi All
Please sign this petition if you have an opinion about BT
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BTBroadband
Get all your friends to sign as well ,
Regards
Thanks
James062

John said...

Hello,

BT have charged us as a company for our clients bills these were overdue and amounted to over £300.

We paid these under threat of disconnection that was not ours.

Eventualy we got all this sorted out after no less than two weeks on the phone.

We are now being over charged on the final line to be soon disconnected I assure you... and I have now given up.

We are a small company and like most people we just dont have the time to be on phone all day.

BT you can have you extra few quid a month, no problem but I vow never to speak well of this or to use your services ever again.

Thanks.

Recent Tweets