Thursday 26 July 2007

Son, you were a mistake

So I was watching browsing around the various music television channels we subscribe to (most for the purpose of looking at the girls in the dance music videos) when I stumbled across Kiss playing NWA's version of Express Yourself - a great hit. Next up was Public Enemy, then Gangstarr, and a plethora of other great hip-hop artists from 1989.

Once 1989 had been dealt with by DJ Swerve who was running the show, we moved onto 1990, which featured such great hip-hop (?) classics as MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This and Vanilla Ice - Under Pressure Ice Ice Baby. I was very dissapointed to see the latter come on straight after one of the best songs (and videos) of all time (as voted by various deities), until the little trivia box in the bottom left told me something I never knew about Ice Ice Baby.

Originally played on the radio by accident, Ice Ice Baby went on to become...

Seriously, I cried with laughter. Can you imagine how many listeners turned off that radio station when the DJ said "And here's Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five with Scorpio" and then put that on? :D

I also interestingly learned that The Dust Brothers, producers of the Beastie Boys forced a UK group who were calling themselves Dust Brothers to change their name. I personally think that Chemical sounds cooler than Dust, so they can't really complain ;)

--

Stop.

Vanilla Ice
Collaborate and listen.

MC Hammer
HammerTime

--

I also love how Image Searching 'Hammertime' brings up oh so many graffitied 'Stop' signs :)

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets