Sunday 29 April 2007

Close...but no guitar

Another Guitar Hero II competition at Subculture last night - only managed to come second, but I'm not too disappointed - the guy who beat me was definitely better, and I had a good time too. What I was a bit miffed about was that I'd been expecting the competition to be up on the main stage - or at least the final to be there, but instead the whole thing was tucked around behind the bar instead.

Got another GHII t-shirt, along with some temporary tattoos (one of which is still on my head), and a couple of other odd bits of merchandise - nothing as cool as the plastic guitars from the competition in Cardiff though. The prize wasn't quite as cool either - it was a copy of Guitar Hero II for the XBox (because, of course, the winner's bound to need a copy of the game...great thinking guys).

One of the girls running the event got more and more...friendly...towards me as the night wore on, but unfortunately for her, her chances ran out around the time she said "Well I don't like the sort of music you like, but I really love all the values and things". She was under the impression I lived in a field somewhere in 1968, bless her, nothing like judging a book by its cover eh? If only she knew what a fascist bastard I was at heart...

The competition itself was a bit different too - the 'first round', as it were, was just a competition to see who could get the highest score. As I was the first one to go for it I just picked a fairly high scoring song, Madhouse, and got 240k on it - which seemed pretty good to me. Checked back a while later and someone had gotten 290k! Evil. Naturally I had to text home and find out what my highest scoring song was on career mode, Monkey Wrench, which I then got a very nice 365k on.

Unfortunately, when I came back an hour or so later, Mr. Lee Harris was just polishing off a rather nice 495k run through of X-Stream, one of the bonus tracks I hadn't played much. I had a couple of goes at it, and got chatting to him, but I think my best was only around 420k on it - I got 99% (as did he) but didn't know where to use the star powers, and broke my combo once too often.

Still though, he and I ended in the final, playing Six (another bonus track, which according to career mode I haven't yet completed!), where he fairly trounced me, and walked away the deserved winner. We even got to go up on stage and wave, great fun - bring on the next competition!

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets