Saturday 14 April 2007

Streaming/Recursion

Many years ago, back when webcams were just coming out and everyone was playing with the new tech, I used to run a webcam feed on a website, as messenger at that time couldn't support more than one video conversation, and I did most of my chatting on IRC anyway.

This was pretty good fun, and since I've got a fancy-pants webcam nowadays, with super resolutions and night vision, and lots of other fun things, I've decided to do so again. Fortunately there's lots of hosts more than willing to stream, from which I've selected CamStreams - which looks to be a nice, small portal that's managed by a dedicated yet personable team, and isn't stuffed with a bunch of morons. Just waiting for some activation stuff from them, and then I'll get the stream running, and hopefully incorporate it here.

This got me playing with my webcam again, and I turned it on, without night-vision, in my otherwise dark room, and saw myself illuminated only in the light of my screen. Upon maximising the picture, so that all that was showing was a webcam feed of a room lit by only the webcam feed.

Stop and consider this for a second - I was originally lit only because the feed took up a mere 25% of the screen, the rest of the screen was displaying the white background of notepad++, this was my only source of illumination. I maximised the feed, which should have removed all illumination from the room, leaving me with a dark picture. However, because the feed has a microscopic lag, it still showed brightness. This brightness illuminated me, which the feed picked up on, and therefore displayed a bright image. This brightness illuminated me, which the feed picked up on, and therefore displayed a bright..and on.

This perverted method of recursion has to be useful in finding an infinitely renewable energy source, I just need more time, and more webcams.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets