Tuesday 29 May 2007

Reading fun

As in 'Red-ding', not 'Ree-ding'. There really ought to be some kind of easily recognizable distinction between the two, else people might get used when I put Reading as the first word of a blog post title.

Had my Microsoft Intern Open Day today, which was pretty fun. Free lunch, just the usual sandwiches & stuff though. I got to meet the other interns too, they're not all business types after all! And the ones that are aren't so bad it seems, even business students are people it seems.

The day started off (at 1pm, they knew their student audience well), and mostly comprised of some pretty girls showing us Powerpoint slides, and then reading them. There was quite a bizarre 'video' (read, slideshow with lots of panning in and out and fading between pictures) which lasted for 6 minutes, set to Queen, in which we saw lots of photos of this year's interns getting drunk. These photos, and more photos of interns getting drunk were also used later on, I think they're possibly giving out slightly the wrong impression of what a year's work at Microsoft is about.

Still though, it was a good day to be honest, we got plenty of chance to get to know one another, some information on accomodation was provided which probably won't come in useful 'til our induction week, but is probably good to have anyway. Most of the others got to meet their 'Buddy' - a person in their team, generally a recent graduate, who'll help them get settled. Not only do I not have a Buddy, but no-one from my team even bothered to show up, which isn't a great sign. Saw Matt & Stu from the MSP team though, and I think Matt's offered to be my buddy, even though he's in a different team. Will should be able to sort me out with anything I need though, so not too bothered.

After a 'Game' (team miming, not Guitar Hero, as I was dissapointed to find) and a little more talking we were free to go, so I wandered down to meet Will for a chat for a while - I swear he never does any work.

Spent the evening at Emma's (The female MSP), playing bad console games - Simpsons Wrestling wins the 'awful' award hands down. Twin Calibre seems a pretty cool game though, for the PS1, albeit a bit poorly made. She's talking endlessly on the phone now, so I've stolen her laptop, and I'm going to go and use it productively, by browsing Facebook.

Ciao. Xx

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

On drinking: you have to realise that your intern year is the only time you'll have the correct balance of money and responsibilty to spend most of your time in the pub...

On me not doing any work: you caught me on a good day.

Recent Tweets