Tuesday 21 August 2007

Camping in the Peak District - Part 2

Our local pub had a great selection of games, including Pub Skittles, which I'd somehow managed to miss out on previously. One of these great games was 1980's favourite, The Game Of Knowledge. This included a lot of bizarre questions, which were often very vague - one of my favourites was 'why do humans need to sleep?'. Tim, for the record, was shockingly awful at this - proof that Open Source simply doesn't play.

We also had a few games of Scrabble, given that we're all literary snobs, and I simply have to show you the following word, from what I really do promise was simply the start of another fair game of Scrabble. I got 107 or so points from this as I recall :)

Takeoffski
No Tim, 'Takeoffski' is not a valid word in any Scrabble dictionary

Sunday was another lovely walk, this time through a gorge which passed by an absolutely gorgeous little river. The water was almost tropical in colour, and so clear that one could see to the bottom of it from any point in perfect detail.

Gorge
Not even Will's SmartPhone could do this one justice

Some amateur caving was also attempted, as we were assured by our book that there were some disused mines and shafts around, but the deepest we found only went about 10 feet in. All this physical exercise was clearly bad for a party of geeks, so we found a quaint little b&b in one of the nicest locations I've ever seen, with a dining room straight from the 1950's. The food was all laid out nicely on a buffet style tray, and I can highly recommend the Steak & Stout pie, which would probably be a little more useful if I could remember the name of the pub.

Will Ian view
Blindingly beautiful views - or I was just a bit too tired

Once all of this walking was done, we noticed a fun looking place on our map on the short drive back to the campsite - Bakewell. Intrigued as to whether the local tarts dressed in the appropriate colours, we drove to the village, but unable to find the red light district, had to settle for a tea shop selling 'the original Bakewell pudding'

Bakewell
I'm not entirely sure why Will decided to take a photo from the tea shop window

Another night with a little too much to drink in the pub later it was time to head home on Monday. I'm not entirely sure why I bothered taking some of my annual vacation from work as I ended up catching up on most of my work on the Monday night, but it was certainly an enjoyable experience.

Gorgeous area of the world, highly recommended next time you're looking for a short get away :)

Leave a comment, or read the 1 comments so far.

Anonymous said...

That inn: The Lathkil Hotel, Over Haddow, Bakewell, DE45 1 something. It was indeed awesome.

Recent Tweets