Friday 10 August 2007

WFH

I think one of the coolest things about this job, and certainly the most novel for me, with my wide range of career choices (aka, student jobs) is the ability to work wherever I want, wherever I want. As I'm growing fonder and fonder of making lists (I think I've spent more time on my 'To Do' list than actually doing things), here's the top ten reasons why I love Microsoft's WFH policy:

  1. All those places that bizzarrely only open 9-5 (such as say, parcel delivery companies that failed to deliver to you because you work 9-5) are suddenly accessible within a working week.

  2. You can lie in bed on a conference call and no-one will ever know (unless of course, they're reading this blog and putting two and two together re: the conference call this morning.
    Actually, on the subject of people at Microsoft reading my blog, will 'guy from Building 1' who I've never met before, but saw with my blog on his screen, please say hi before I start becoming paranoid again...

  3. You can go home to see your girlfriend early on a Friday and work (by which I mean, blog) on the train.

  4. Working from home provides a great business case for why you need that leet new SmartPhone and for Microsoft to pay the bill.

  5. Hungover? They'll never know. Unless of course, you have a meeting at 10.30am the next morning :(

  6. Need to pep up your presentation? Now you can steal jokes from Frasier whilst writing it. I suppose you could also do that if you didn't turn down the ultra-cool job at MSTV because you thought it was all networking. Obviously, you == me (but only in this context...ok enough rambling on this point).

  7. If you're not in the office, people can't "just pop by with a quick question" that consumes half of your day and results in you gaining a reputation as office tech support.

  8. The queue for lunch is a hell of a lot smaller.

  9. You can now legitimitely turn people down for dates on the grounds that you're 'in work', at any time of the day!

  10. When people can't see you by the office pool table at 10am, 11am, 12.30pm, 1pm, 2pm and 4-5pm, they believe you when you say you've been working hard that day.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets