Thursday 9 August 2007

Champagne and cake

To the casual observer, the recent high staff turnover in Microsoft - my department in particular, might indicate some serious underlying morale issues in the team. In fact, that couldn't be farther from the truth - each leaving is actually a massive morale boost, and having so many of them in succession has put a smile on the face of everyone in the office.

First to go were Stuart Leddy and Matt Duffin, my old MSP mentors, as they'd come to the end of their internship, though both have promised they'll be back in the future. Both great guys and, as though I didn't have enough free drinks thanks to them, there was champagne and cake served at both of their leaving do's, with a side of humorous photos thrown in for good measure.

Today was the office leaving party for Paul Murphy, who's jetting off to India tomorrow, and I've got to say that the quality of cake served when saying goodbye to a full-timer is superb compared to what the interns got - and those cakes weren't half bad anyway.

It's interesting how the number of employees in my department doubles at around the time champagne corks start flying off, but is certainly a welcome break from playing around on the internet, going for walks, playing on XBox pods and the other thing...I forget what it's called.

Edit: Working! That's the one, knew I'd remember it if I thought hard enough.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets