Wednesday 19 September 2007

Beauty in the breaks

I love art, in its many, many forms, and it always lifts my 気 to see someone, anyone, create something with love which expresses that which they find beautiful. When I too, however, find it beautiful, then it stays in my thoughts for quite some time, and I always try and find a way to share it with others. Often it's a piece of music, a very simple sketch or a lovingly constructed sculpture, but just sometimes, it's something you'd normally think of as far less soul-less, paid for by a corporate giant:



Now, TV adverts for large corporations may not seem a likely art-form to move me so, but when an advert is this good, one barely even notices the product being sold (though I'm sure the viral effect is superb for business). Often the high budget can lead to something even better than the short indie films - which are invariably too pretentious to enjoy anyway.

Commercials of this quality aren't a new concept, with a few companies having a very good history in this department, possibly most notable amongst them Volkswagen of all people. Then again, these guys did start with one of the best propoganda teams of the century behind them - so you would expect some top notch stuff. Did anyone else love The Pretender advert below?



I was also trying to find, amongst the vast archives of utter rubbish on Youtube, a Twix advert that's currently on the TV which I quite liked. It's not normally the type of thing I'd have posted up, but I guess this Vodafone ad has just got me in the mood to appreciate adverts. Regardless, I couldn't find it, but I did find the following cool Lego construction:



What I love, a lot more than the actual video, is (currently) the most recent comment on there (which you can see by clicking here or simply clicking on the video above once it's started playing) - which quite simply states:

Why don't you just pull it out for free?

I can't remember the last time I heard someone so simply sum up the ignorance of the masses to art - but the problem is, I can't quite figure out whether this guy is a genius, or is just actually that much of a pickled egg sandwich. Guess it all comes back to that which the mouseover in XKCD comic 301 says:

Fun game: Try to post a Youtube comment so stupid that people realise you must be joking

Randall's right, it's nigh on impossible.

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets