Monday 10 September 2007

Dolphins are not humans

One thing I like to do when I'm bored is to simply pick a random forename (in this case, Martin) and a random surname (Stewart), and plug to two into a search engine, with the word 'blog' at the end of it. I like finding the little blogs, rather than the mass published ones, and getting a little insight into people's lives.

One thing I like to do when I'm even more bored, is to then blog about it myself.

Today I found, using the above, Mart the Rev's blog - he's a Presbyterian Minister in Christchurch, New Zealand, which is pretty cool for reasons I can't quite define. Possibly it's just because of this picture atop his blog...

Mart The Rev
I'm not entirely sure whether or not this is just a stock photo he's put some text on, or whether he's actually an 80's pop star

--

To the point then - I found this story linked on his blog:

Dolphins not so intelligent on land

Hilarious though it is, it's a bit unfortunate that Mart here not only doesn't know key rule #17 of the internet - 'Never believe anything you read by The Onion' - but also didn't notice the word 'Satire' in the url. Still though, I do love this picture and subline from the article :)


A dolphin performs poorly in a University of Florida land-based locomotion test.

The rest of the article is pretty hilarious too, so I suggest you go give it a read. If you need any more convincing...here's a couple of choice quotes:

In another test, several pounds of mackerel were placed on the ground, separated from the test dolphins by only 20 feet of concrete. The dolphins were unable to reach the food and feed themselves.

"In some cases," Lindell added, "the dolphins appeared to be looking directly into our eyes, as if pleading with us to help them perform better in these tests."

Been clicking around on that site (this post gets longer and longer...) by the way, if you liked the above, you might also enjoy:

Neck Strap Recall

Leave a comment.

Recent Tweets