Monday 17 September 2007

Wooden computing

Whilst browsing through Youtube, I was unlucky enough to stumble across this fairly awful video, which has been extremely popular on there recently. I'll leave it to you to work out why - or to simply enjoy it if you get whatever it is I'm missing:



From here my train of thought dawdled, until I decided to plug the phrase 'wooden computers' into a search engine to see what came up.

Wow.

Wooden iPod

Above is the Wooden iPod by ZapWizard - if Apple don't put that into their next-gen range then I think they're really missing out on an opportunity.

Wooden desktop computer set up
“To be honest we do not have the cheapest masters in Moscow...”

This one's a piece of Russian brilliance, with everything hand-carved, and you can even buy your own, though take note of the quote in the subline above, I imagine it'll cost more for the outsides than for the gaming rig you put inside. Update: I actually went away and asked them how much the above would cost - US$15,000. Ouch. However, if you want to see the product of some really hardcore time, effort and love...

Sangaku wooden Japanese computer case

Wow.

This one took over 300 hours of effort and is completely hand-built by Nicholas Falzone, nothing I say could be worth of it.

Leave a comment, or read the 2 comments so far.

Unknown said...

Meh, the video is not so good. I have some friends who do much better (though on the same armature level) videos. http://www.secret7000.co.uk/

As far as that computer goes, I would simply not want to own it for fear of not doing it any justice. It is just far too good!

Ina said...

I'll be sure to check them out when I've got some time.

Wonder how good the rig inside that gorgeous case is though...

Recent Tweets